TheKNAPP®-Dowel is a strong and durable self-holding plastic dowel and available in 6x28mm and 8x36mm. It grips itself into the borehole due to its special design of threaded ribs and lengthwise groove, hence no clamping of the workpiece needed. Unlike conventional wooden dowels, it has the option to be used with or without adhesive. Reduced manufacturing time and perfect for outside use are just two of the many benefits the KNAPP®-Dowel offers.
KNAPP®-Dowel – Self-tightening Plastic Dowel
Call for Price
The KNAPP®-Dowel is a strong and durable self-holding plastic dowel and available in 6x28mm and 8x36mm. Consists of high-strength weather-resistant (POM) plastic and gripping itself into the borehole due to its special design of threaded ribs and lengthwise groove, hence no clamping of the workpiece needed. Unlike conventional wooden dowels, it has the option to be used with or without adhesive. If used with the recommended KNAPP®-Adhesive, the lengthwise grooves and two holes ensure an optimal distribution of the glue and a firm anchoring in the material, hence creating a strong and tight connection between the components when hardened.
Features and Benefits:
and prevent bulging of i.e. chipboards due to the swelling of the glue.
- Design – the threaded ribs, lengthwise groove, and holes on both ends ensure:
- a strong anchoring in the material, hence depending on the applications and conditions it can be used with or without adhesive.
- optimal distribution of adhesive and prevent bulging of i.e. chipboards due to the swelling of the glue.
- fast manufacturing as there is no clamping needed and immediately load bearing → especially beneficial for an automated manufacturing process.
- Material – high-quality polyacetal (POM) plastic
- Self-holding – the threaded ribs, lengthwise groove, and holes ensure a strong anchoring in the material, hence depending on the applications and conditions it can be used with or without adhesive.
- Efficient – as opposed to conventional dowel and glue methods, the longitudinal grooves on the KNAPP-Dowel assure the optimum distribution of the glue in the borehole and prevent bulging of i.e. chipboards due to the swelling of the glue.
- Material – no opening of the joint due to shrinkage and swelling behavior, even when exposed to the environmental humidity changes.
- Quality – guaranteed quality – no risk of breakage and cracking, as opposed to hardwood dowels (beech dowels, etc.)
- Weather resistant – connection for inside and outside applications.
- Stable – highly loadable, especially in combination with KNAPP®-Adhesive PU+
- Safe – the transverse grooves increase the holding force in the borehole – it provides space for the glue in between the dowel and the inner wall of the borehole – secure and immediate fixation and positioning of the components until the glue is hardened.
- Clean – for automated dowel machines, we recommend simple white glue (for example PVAc) for easy and simple cleaning of the machines.
- Automatic processing – KNAPP-Dowels work very well for automatic processing.
Polyacetal (POM) – weather resistant plastic dowel.
Knock-in, optionally gluing with KNAPP®-ADHESIVE PU+.
UV-resistant, self-tightening dowel.
Dowel-jig, power drill, dowel inserting machine.
All kinds of wood materials (solid and composite materials).
Case good furniture, interior design, windows, shopfitting.
KNAPP®-ADHESIVE PU+ | Art.-No. Z011
Case Goods and Furniture
Windows and Doors
Note for CNC machining centers and insertion of the KNAPP®-Dowels:
- The depth of the total borehole should be 1 1/4 – 1 3/8 in (32 – 36 mm) for the 6 mm dowel (Art. #066) and 1 5/8 – 1 3/4 in (42 – 45 mm) for the 8 mm dowel (Art. #K067). The selected larger drilling depth ensures optimum distribution of the glue throughout the borehole. These total depths apply to both components that get connected.
- The diameter of the borehole should be 1/4 in (6 mm) for the 6 mm dowel and 5/16 in 8 mm for the 8 mm dowel.
- When used with a CNC machining center, the opposite drill hole should be chamfered 0.5 – 1 mm for better insertion of the dowel.
- In case you are using an automatic dosing device, the glue quantity can be set optimally for the entire borehole space by means of the dosing setting. An optimum distribution of the glue is ensured.
- When using our dowel with a CNC machining center, we recommend using PVAc white glue. An optimal dosage is easily set via the system. It also ensures an easy cleaning of the system.
- Tip: for 600 mm (material length) up to 6 KNAPP®-DOWELS are recommended, depending on the material. Do not mix with hardwood dowels because of the differences in accuracy.
- Tip: For preparation work, please refer to the general instructions.